photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Sunday, November 7, 2010

My thoughts on baby #2


No, I'm not pregnant, don't get excited. (I'm speaking to family members here.) Haha!

**Disclaimer** Just because I'm blogging about baby #2, does not mean that I will be
attempting to get pregnant in the near future :)

Ok, now that that's out of the way.....

I really didn't know whether I should blog about this or not and I've been debating it for a few days, but I thought it would be fun to go back and read what was going through my mind during this time in my life. I certainly think about our second baby and I don't want to have my life scheduled out to a T, but it's nice to have a general plan.

Harper is now 19 months old. Originally, I wanted about 4 years between my children, but now I'm re-thinking that. There are 6 years separating my sibling and I and 5 years between my husband and his brother. I think both of us are as close to our siblings as we can be and while discussing our age differences a few days ago, we both realized that we didn't get to do many things with them while growing up simply because we were always at different stages of our lives than they were.

For school reasons amongst other things, I think it would be fun to have them about 3 years apart at the most. Harper would make an excellent older brother for a boy or girl. I feel sure that he would adapt to them very well.


Here are the Pros:

1. We are all already on Jimmy's Family insurance plan. This plan covers the entire family, whether we have 1 child or 10.

2. We've decided that I will continue staying home for the foreseeable future. I wasn't able to do this directly after Harper was born. I had to go back to work after 6 weeks and I wasn't able to breastfeed for nearly as long as I would have liked. With baby #2, I would be able to breastfeed and I would like to try cloth diapering simply because of the savings vs. disposable diapers.

3. We will be moving into a new house next month with 3 bedrooms, one of which would be the nursery!

4. The neighborhood that we will be moving to is very close to another stay-at-home mom that I am friends with. We could get together for play dates and help eachother out during times of need :)

5. We already have many baby items and would only need a few new things.

6. Having a baby close to Harper's age will help both of them developmentally.

7. I would be able to enjoy my second pregnancy a little more since I would not be working (like the first time) and would know what to expect.

8. If I go ahead and have another baby, our family would most likely be complete!



Here are the Cons:

1. I am still in school and will most likely be in school (online) for the next year and a half at least.

2. Obviously having a second baby will increase the chaos factor! I was talking to one of the moms in my Sunday school class about her 3 year old and 8 month old. She was frank with me and told me it was really hard! (On the flip side, she also works full time.)

3. On many nights, I would be dealing with a newborn, a toddler and 3 dogs by myself while my husband works. Once everyone is in bed, I would have to work on homework. Talk about exhausting!

4. Am I really ready for there to be four of us? What I have now is a little fledgling family, but 4 of us is a full-on family!

5. I still feel kind of young. I just turned 26! Sometimes I feel that is a little young for 2 children.


Obviously, adding to our family is a big decision. This is one of the reasons I am blogging about it. My blog is my online diary, so it feels nice to sort out my thoughts. I know that we still have plenty of time and there's no rush. Neither one of us feels pressured and we know it will happen when the time is right.

Until then, we'll keep enjoying our time with our first baby!





3 comments:

  1. that baby is/was the sweetest one on the planet!! i miss holding him! i think #2 right now would be PERFECT! ;) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. the right time is when God says it is. and don't feel alone. we're thinking about #2 too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to ask, and I hope you don't mind since you don't know me! But how do you guys manage on 1 income? As the wife of a police officer also, I've been trying to figure a way for me to stay at home one day...or at least work just part time. I just don't know what the trick is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover