I am a sucker for all things home-decor related. I remember being about 10 or 11 years old watching Lynette Jennings at my grandma's house. Does that make me weird? Yeah, I think so too.
Our house has a coastal feel, but not cheesy coastal. We have a few starfish here and there but nothing that feels too over the top. We really like the subtle tans, blues and greens that go along with the beachy "theme" (I hate that word), but I realized not too long ago that our furniture, blankets, curtains and much of our accessories are all some form of brown or tan. This is because our old house was painted entirely in "Interesting Aqua" from Sherwin Williams so we toned all of that down with neutral decor and furnishings:


The owners of our new house are in the process of painting all of the walls a very neutral color, so we will have brown on top of tan on top of brown on top of tan.......
Sounds exciting, no?
I love the idea of introducing brighter, perhaps warmer colors, but I want to make sure it still feels coastal. We'll be living in a pink house for goodness sake, so we might as well run with it.
One thing I know that we need is some entryway storage. Between all of us, we have keys, coats, Harper's Toy Story bookbag that we use as a diaper bag, hats, etc. So, we need something sturdy.

I will be painting our dresser-turned-buffet the very same color used by The Nester.

source
I'm also in LOVE and I mean L.O.V.E with her curtains. I really want to learn to sew, so that I could make my own curtains, bed skirts, etc. *swoon*

Here are a few inspiration pictures. This one has WAY too much white goin' on, but I do like the incorporation of red.

source
Nothing feels more coastal than wide-striped pillows.

source
I love the different patterns and textures in this room.

source
This is a little more on the fun side

source
How fun and whimsical is this room? May I have one please?

source
How funny is this crab sign?

source
You get the idea.. I definitely want to keep it warm and inviting with light, airy colors and I think that can be a very hard task to pull off. Light colors pull away from you and warm colors sort of envelope you and make you feel cozy. I look forward to the challenge and with my having to take a semester off, I will have some time to spend on projects.
I'm looking forward to it!







No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!