photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Friday, June 17, 2011

What to do?

I am at quite a loss over Harper's sleep schedule. When I say it has suddenly changed, I am not exaggerating in the least.

He used to go to bed around 7:30pm and wake at 7:30-8am. He would usually go down for a 2 hour nap during the day and all was well with the world.

In the last two weeks, he has learned how to get out of his toddler bed. He's had the capability to be able to get out for some time, but he finally put 2 and 2 together. Since learning how to get out, he fights naptimes around noon and fights going to bed at 8pm. This morning, he was in our room before 6am. Folks, I can't do 6am. When I was working full time, I didn't get up until 6:30!

I have thought about cutting out his naptimes completely but if I do, he will be overly tired and impossible to deal with. He still needs a nap.

I've done a little research about how to keep him in his bed and have run across this thing:

As much as this might work for some people, I think it would be traumatizing for Harper.

We also thought about turning his doorknob around so that we could basically lock him in his room. I didn't really like that idea and then when we mentioned it to Jimmy's step-mom (who is a family counselor), she immediately said that he could definitely be traumatized by that. Who likes being locked in their room?

My biggest problem is that once I put him to bed at 8pm, I am usually up until midnight doing all the things that I don't get a chance to do during the day. I could probably fall asleep earlier than that, but I feel like I sometimes make myself stay awake just to relish in all the "me" and quiet time I am getting.

I really don't know what to do. Fighting to keep him in bed after 8pm, going to be at midnight and then waking up before 6am just isn't cutting it. I. am. exhausted. I guess the easiest solution would be to go to bed earlier, but I am such a night owl!

Any suggestions welcome :)

3 comments:

  1. When my kids did this, I was just very consistent with putting them back in bed. I even sat outside their room during nap time so that when they got up, I could immediately put them back in bed. No talking, no hugs, nothing. (Not to be mean, but just to reenforce that they need to be in bed and hugs and talking are not for the middle of nap time.)

    You're a great mom, so I'm sure you've done your fair share of "normal" tricks. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Harper does the same thing! He fights bed all night (and keeps his brother up, too!) and then wakes up at 6 every morning...he does crash pretty hard at naptime though...if you find a cure, then please share! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. again... i'm not "there yet", but i know some other mamas who are... can he climb over a baby gate at his door? i've seen some situations where you can maybe give him a "quiet time" during his nap time... he must play in his room (and sometimes will fall asleep in the middle of the floor... not sure if this would work if ALL of his toys are in his room--but if you re-sorted them so that the books, or other "non-battery" toys were in his room for him during quiet time, it might be worth a shot... maybe just focusing more on keeping him in his room rather than keeping him in his bed. (without locking him in there!!) good luck!! ...maybe you'll figure it all out before i get there with eden--then you can tell me all about it! haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover