photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Saturday, February 11, 2012

The night I asked to be taken to the ER.

If you know me personally, then you know that I will do any and everything to avoid throwing up. I hate vomiting more than needles, childbirth and spiders. I think that's saying something.

Wednesday morning, Jimmy and I dropped Harper off at Preschool and headed out to breakfast. We ate our biscuits on the run and ran to Lowe's for a few things. We came home and I gave Hollin a quick bath, because it's just easier when big brother is not around trying to climb in the tub too :) She fell asleep on my bed, so I laid beside her and dozed off myself. Jimmy left to get Harper and when I woke up around 1pm, I felt really queasy.

I tried to fight it for as long as I could. I ran upstairs and did my thing, feeling better immediately. About 20 minutes later, I felt sick again. I thought for sure I couldn't get sick again, but I did. And then again. And again. And again.

By 4pm, I was throwing up every 10 minutes or less. I left the bathroom long enough to find my phone and texted Jimmy downstairs, and told him that I needed to go to the ER.

He quickly arranged babysitting for the babies and rushed me to the hospital, all while I was throwing up into a trash can in the car.

When I got to the ER, I could barely speak and Jimmy answered all of my questions for me. Luckily, they took me back immediately and I laid in the hospital bed, shaking like a leaf.

After what seemed like forever, I was given an IV as well as something for nausea and a general pain reliever. The medicine made me so groggy, Jimmy says that I was having hallucinations about bears at the circus and trying to pull my IV out. That doesn't sound like me :)

What scared me the most was finding out that my white blood cells were extremely elevated. Not long after that, I had a CT scan to make sure that I didn't need to have my appendix out. Not only was this my first sick ER visit (ever), but it was also my first CT scan. I'd be lying if I said it didn't scare me a little.

After 7 hours in the ER, I was sent home with a diagnosis of a "virus" and some Zofran.

From everything that I've been hearing, it sounds like I had Norovirus.

I have never, EVER been that sick in my life.

The next day, Jimmy had it. Not as bad, but he had it.

The day after that, my nausea came back and I spent several hours in the bed, fighting it off.

So.....that is where I have been. Today has been the first full day of no nausea, but I still don't feel 100%. I am really weak and my stomach feels like it's made of tissue paper. I'm chugging Gatorade and trying not to eat anything that would make me feel sick again.

Bless you if you've cared enough to make it to the end of my post. Take care of yourself and wash your hands!!!!!!

Goodnight,

2 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! You poor thing - that sounds awful. I had a horrible stomach bug back in September and it was slightly similar though still not that bad. It's the WORST. Glad you're on the mend. I couldn't eat "real" food for at least a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That. is. awful. I'm glad you are (mostly) recovered and hope your kids are safe from it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover