photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Monday, November 12, 2012

Hollin's 1st Birthday - A Princess and Costume Party

Hollin's 1st birthday party went off without a hitch! I think everyone had a great time even though it was a bit chilly out. Hollin sure loved the attention :)

I planned this party for months and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little proud of how everything came together. I am definitely relieved that I can sit back and relax now, but I had so much fun coming up with a concept and buying things as I went along.

Since Hollin is a Halloween baby, the natural choice was a costume party! Just ordering the invitations got me excited. HollinInvite_zps51449ea3

I wasn't sure if I wanted the party to be decorated for Halloween, or for her costume. She was a Princess this year, so I just went for full-on pink girlyness!!


DSC_0320_zps32da8c22
The curtain rod that everything is hanging from was left behind by the old owners when we bought the house. I hung on to it because I knew I would find a use for it someday! The curtains panels were a Lowe's clearance find at $5 per panel. The canopy was also found at Lowe's for around $20 and I bought that knowing that she could use it in her room later on.


DSC_0325_zpsf418db50

I had heard through the grapevine that the cupcakes from Wal Mart are delicious, so that is where they came from. They were really good! I borrowed the tables, tableclothes, cupcake stand and already had the pictures and old pageant crown on hand :) I borrowed the pumpkin/crown idea from Pinterest.





We bought the little white pumpkins on our Pumpkin Patch day and my dad cut out holes for tealight candles.


DSC_0312_zpsa6a45b58 

The cupcake toppers were from Etsy!

 DSC_0358_zps95624c3e

This little table was so fun to put together. All of the pennant banners, I made myself. I bought heavy cardstock and large stickers, then had hubby cut a nice cardboard triangle to use as my template. I hot glued them to the ribbon and it was a little time consuming, but I enjoyed it.


This sweet little frame was from Michael's. It was unpainted, so I handpainted both sides. It didn't take as long as I thought it would, but now I need to figure out where to hang it!
DSC_0324_zps1c52ee49


I wanted to put all of the food on one table, but this one just wasn't big enough. DSC_0326_zps362cf600


II borrowed this idea from Pinterest :)
 DSC_0331_zps4de8e3ddDSC_0328_zpscee94946

These little crown sandwiches were not easy to make, but fun to eat!

DSC_0329_zps8a3a3751

The mason jars were a big hit and we've enjoyed using them since the party :) We had gallons of good ol' McDonald's sweet tea, pink lemonade and of course, soda. DSC_0299_zps4bc15b84

I wanted to keep all of the food light and dainty. I forgot to take a picture, but we also had a Chic-Fil-A chicken nugget platter. DSC_0316_zps615b0f72

The little cups were filled with my mom's famous potato salad. Yum..

DSC_0317_zps86ac4c50

For favors, I bought tiny princess and cupcake themed gift bags from the Target Dollar Spot this past Summer. My Mother and Father-in-law made these awesome chocolate covered caramel apples. They were so delicious.

 DSC_0478_zpscb4cd679

We had some sweet costumes!


DSC_0338_zpse06d92e4

(This one is so funny because his daddy is a Police Officer :) DSC_0340_zpsa556d8e8

This sweet lady and I have been friends since Kindergarten. Her little pumpkin has the cutest dimples I've ever seen.

Then, there was knight Harper without his Knight hat.
DSC_0335_zpsf598b574

These next two are brothers! The littlest one is an ECU fan. DSC_0349_zps83bd471f

And Luigi!

 DSC_0341_zpsf5d4b425


 This is my little flower girl. She was three when she was in our wedding. She is getting so big! DSC_0423_zps7fe9e655

There were some that I didn't get a picture of :(


Now, the guest of honor. My sweet Princess Hollin. DSC_0339_zpsd490aeec


DSC_0371_zpsecadead0

The most time-consuming project of this whole party, was her high chair tutu, believe it or not. I found a really simple online tutorial and worked on it every night after work for about a week and a half, but I LOVED the result! I didn't measure each piece of tulle individually. Some were longer than others, but it turned out really fluffy.

 DSC_0365_zpsaf98e2a5

 Her smash cake was my favorite part of the whole day. DSC_0387_zps502bcdf7

DSC_0390_zps360a01d6

DSC_0408_zps0671d99b


DSC_0410_zps106def8f

DSC_0412_zps55ba7f3e


DSC_0413_zps88931db0

Loved getting a picture of most of the special people in Hollin's life :) DSC_0396_zps2769329d

After cake came gifts and Hollin stayed with me for a little while. DSC_0419_zpsf577f96f

But then, it was naptime. DSC_0422_zps730858d3

I headed upstairs to put her down, then came back to mingle a little. The day of the party was my brother-in-laws birthday! I didn't get to talk to him very much with everything going on, but Jimmy got him a card and a Storm Trooper cupcake. Photobucket 
DSC_0383_zpsdebadc0e

DSC_0374_zpse20b99a8

DSC_0373_zpsaaceae97

DSC_0377_zps8c83098a

When the Princess woke up, we ran out really quick to get some pictures with the sign we rented. My friend started her own business and rents these adorable signs to put in your yard. You get to keep the little personalized sign! DSC_0428_zpscbfe44a2

Jimmy and I were so excited to celebrate our little girl's first year of life with so many special people.

Happy 1st Birthday Princess Hollin!!!

PrincessHollin_zps5e99a090

1 comment:

  1. How cute and what a great idea to have a costume party mixed in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover