Why?
Well, because he kind of, sort of, put in for a new position at the Police Department without telling me. We had discussed it, yes, but I thought we were on the same page.
On the flip side, I can't be all that mad at him, because it's something he has wanted to do for as long as he has been a Police Officer.
Right.
K-9 Officer. (Not sure who this is by the way, thanks Pinterest!)
I have talked about it on the blog before. What a lot of people don't know is that these positions only come available once every 5 years or so. When a dog retires, or if a former officer didn't work out, etc. So when the position opened, it was decision time.
Jimmy and I talked about it at length. We already have a German Shepherd, two babies, construction beginning in our backyard (hopefully very soon) and a full-time school schedule starting for him next year. Can we really add another layer? I thought we had agreed that no, we can't, but then he drops the bomb on me at dinner last night!
There are Pros along with the Cons. The immediate perk would be that he would get an SUV that will better fit his 6'5 frame. 12 hours in the patrol car over the last few years have taken a toll on him physically.
I don't know what his chances are of getting the position, but we (as a family) meet all of the requirements so far. We own a home, have a nice sized back yard and so on. If he were to be offered the job, there would be lots of training in the beginning and then a schedule change at some point. Sometimes I feel like the last 5 years of my life have been change after change after change. When I sit back and think about it though, isn't that kind of what your 20's are all about?
That's another post for another time.
If there is one thing that I have for my husband (besides unconditional love), it's trust. I trust him with everything. If he thought for a second that he couldn't do this, he wouldn't have put in for it.
Please say a prayer for us as we wait to find out if he will be offered this position. It will be quite some time before we know for sure, but knowing that his name is in the hat makes me a little nervous:)
Happy Veteran's Day!!








Ah the life of a police wife :) lots of change. My Hub is a K-9 officer and it actually has been quite nice. The dog is great with our baby and hes just like family. We already had a dog and a cat and they get along. The upgrade to the SUV was nice as well for him.
ReplyDeleteThe hair these dogs put out is UNBELIEVABLE!!
Get ready to use your vacuum like a mad woman! Hope all goes well.
Thank you!! All of the changes are so exhausting at times, but it's life.
DeleteIt is so rewarding to see your husband do K-9 work and really love his job. There are certainly challenges (being on call, for example), but it is worth it to see them pursue their goals. If Jimmy wants to get more info on what to expect, tell him to find Zane on Facebook and message him. I interact with Kanyon quite a bit, but he stays outside and cannot always be treated like a pet (treats, toys, in the house, etc...), although you can interact and play with him some. We love him to pieces and it is certainly comforting to know Zane has a partner that has his back!
ReplyDeleteThanks Melissa!! Hope you Zane and kanyon are doing well :)
DeleteOh you gotta love the surprising changes that comes with this job. I am so thankful to be a police dog Mom. Gunner is another family member and I am not sure what our lives would be like without him. He has transitioned great with the childern and the partnership between Gunner and Curtis is nothing less than amazing. I feel even more "okay" knowing that Gunner always has Gunners back.
ReplyDeleteGunner is a belgian malinois though and his hair is by FAR worse than a shephard. Also, I am not saying what is right or wrong but I know a lot of agencies are having issues with their dogs being poisioned by heartless criminals when they are in outside cages. G man stays in the garage when he is not inside, although I know that this is not acceptable for everyone.
Praying for you and your Husband during this time. I totally understand the hardships and frustrations that come along so if you ever need to talk feel free to email me! :)
(paigeleana at yahoo dot com)
Thanks for the encouraging words Paige! I'm not sure what in the world we will do with two dogs. I'm sure the k 9 would stay in the house. Let's not talk about the hair haha. :)
Delete