photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

An update on an old topic


(Warning, lots of bank talk ahead.)

On August 1st, I left my job as stay-at-home mom for an awesome opportunity at a bank very close to my home. Full story here.

I started this position supporting three loan officers, but 1 of them more than the other. We had a very clear vision of how we were going to grow the Commercial business in our area. He and I had  compatible personalities. Coming to work was fun. We were on our way toward a thriving and very profitable Commercial portfolio for our bank.

On the morning of September 25th, everything changed.

My boss was gone for training and I was at the office, working away. Every employee was instructed to sit in on a mandatory conference call. I clicked my speakerphone button, started sipping coffee and shuffling papers.

The droning of Corporate Presidents began. I was barely paying attention until I heard, “We are thrilled to announce the merger of our bank with ______ Bank.”

That word. Merger.

For me, it’s synonymous with “Job Loss.” “Change.” “Uncertainty.” “Anxiety.”


 
 
My boss came back a few days later, heartbroken. His hopes and dreams for our team had evaporated. Our bank had been bought by another, so calling it a merger was ridiculous. There were established Commercial Loan Officers at the bank that bought us. He wasn’t sure of his future and he was the first to admit that he hates change.

We carried on business as usual for a little while.

Then, at the end of November 2012, my boss resigned and went to another bank. It was quite a surprise, but a move that I understood considering the uncertainty of where our bank is going. I thought to myself, “This is a big deal, but there is still another loan officer to support here.”

That loan officer resigned two weeks ago.



I absolutely, 100% panicked.



Common sense would say that if you are supporting 3 loan officers, but the two at your branch have resigned, then support is no longer needed.

Fortunately for me, I am needed and have been told so many times. The third loan officer (from a different branch that I rarely assisted) has now moved to this branch. We have split up the work between several employees and we are getting it done. Day by day.

I actually closed a $3.4 million loan on Friday with a very prominent local family. There were no issues and everything went smoothly. I’m kind of proud of that :)

On the other side of the coin, there is still uncertainty. I am no closer to an answer about my position than I was on that day. I honestly don’t know what this merger means for me. There has been a lot of “through the grapevine” information, but nothing concrete.


Plain and simple, I could lose my job. I could keep it. If I keep my job, there is a chance that my role will change at the new bank. Now that the Holidays are over, I expect more information to start rolling downhill.

I’m so disappointed that this position fell apart almost a quickly as it came together. I am trying to remain optimistic. I keep telling myself that it will all make sense in the end.
 
______

Please say a prayer for me, if you think about it. I don't know what the future holds, but this is what I do know.


Love,

9 comments:

  1. I worked in corporate at a bank that bought another bank right before the government seized it. Anyway, I was surprised but we kept a LOT of their staff! My husband and I have had a ton of career changes in the last few years and all I can say is keep trusting God. I'll pray for y'all too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks kodi! I appreciate your prayers.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1/03/2013

    Hi Ashlynn! I just saw your comment over at my blog: "Love.Laughter.Happily Ever After"! I am so thankful for the blog world and all those I have met through "This Wonderful Life". I love your blog design and your children are gorgeous! Cling to your faith, it will all work out with the Lord's timing! Thanks for the follow! I am your newest follow, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the follow and best of luck with the job. Can't wait to follow you thru 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kristen!

      Delete
    2. Whoops, Kristin* I'm a stickler for names :)

      Delete
  4. Ashlynn, I know the uncertainty of mergers. I worked for BB&T for 25 years and experienced many many mergers, fortunately I was always with the bank doing the buying. I spent many many hours on the road working with the branch employees that were being purchased. BB&T was always so good about placing people in new jobs, which in itself can be unsettling, and most jobs that were lost were employees that were ready to retire anyway. I saw more positive come out of mergers than negative. Keep your head up, things will work out for the best as long as you put your fears in the hands of our Lord. Take Care, Cathy J. Wells, Bailey, NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is very unsettling but I am trusting in God. Thank you for your kind words :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover