photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Friday, January 25, 2013

My Adoption Story

My story is something that I have wanted to share for quite some time. I have started to write it again and again, but the words just weren't there.  It is deeply personal, but I love to share it for those who are willing to listen. This topic is something that I am very passionate about, so I hope that you will understand adoption a little more and know a little bit more about me at the end of this post :)

______________

My adoption was closed.  This means that I know very, very little about my birth mother.....

She was married. Twice, she conceived by her husband, but aborted those pregnancies. Her reason was that she had "no time" for children because of her career. I do not know what job or career she had.

She became pregnant a third time, with twins. She delivered them, a boy and a girl and gave one to a fraternal Aunt and Uncle and the other to a maternal Aunt and Uncle. I do not know if these were legal adoptions or a mutual understanding between family members.

_______________

Then there was me.  Her fourth pregnancy.


I was conceived outside of her marriage, with another married man. When her husband learned of this pregnancy, he left her.


I was born on October 12, 1984. I don't know what time I entered the world. Or at what hospital. I do know what county, but that is all I know about the location of my birth.  There are no pictures of my birth (that I know of) and no stories of a long or short labor.

She was 24 years old when I was born.  She had a petite frame and was a heavy smoker. I have been told that she had no pre-natal care. I don't know the color of her hair or her eyes or anything physically specific.

What I do know is that I was born in a hospital in county not too far from here and by law, I stayed with her for three days.  At the end of those three days, she signed the papers and I went to live with a foster family.

My foster family named me Joy Wayne.  What a name, right? They named me Joy because they said I was a joy to have in their home.  Wayne was the county that I was born in.  I lived with them until I was 6 months old and on April 2nd, 1985, I was brought home by Donald and Kathy Gardner.

109_zps5533bdd2

They are my mom and dad.  Always have been and always will be. They prayed and waited 8 years for a child and I hope that I am as much of a blessing to them as they are to me.  I am still young, but have lived a very full and happy life.  I have no abandonment issues because I am adopted. My mom and dad told me that I was adopted before I was old enough to really understand.  I used to tell everyone that I was adopted, because it made me feel so special.

I still feel that way.
_____________


In my 28 years, I have had a lot of time to think about being adopted and what it really means to me.  Before I was married and had children of my own, it was just part of me and my story. Now that I am a wife and mother, I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for my biological mother to sign those papers.  Maybe it wasn't hard?  Maybe she knew she was making the best decision she could for me.

She had terminated pregnancies before. Why didn't she abort me and move on with her life, as if nothing ever happened?

The short answer is God.  He is why I am here.  When I really take a moment to think about how my life began, I realize that it is a miracle that I am here.

I never take my life for granted and I thank Him everyday for sparing my life and guiding my biological mother through what I imagine was a very difficult time.

What would I say if I ever met her?



Thank you.
PicMonkeyCollage_zps0861d4b3

Photobucket

Thank you for giving me my life.



18 comments:

  1. I have always known you were adopted,of course, but it never really crosses my mind that you are not biologically connected. You have always just been family from the first day as if you had been born biologically into our family. It has NEVER mattered to ANY of us that you weren't. I couldn't love you any more if had of been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I love you all too!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post - you have no idea how much it encouraged me. ((((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! That is why I wanted to share... As encouragement for those who need it!! Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Kelly's Korner. I LOVED this post! My husband and I adopted a newborn 18 months ago, and I often wonder what her thoughts are going to be about being adopted in 10, 15, 20 years. Our situation is a bit different. We have an open adoption and visit regularly (3-4 times per year) with her birth parents, but it is still reasuring to get the perspective from someone who was adopted. Can't wait to follow your blog! Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelley and congratulations on your baby girl! Nice to meet you too! Blessings :)

      Delete
  5. Hey! I havent been on anyones blog in ages and I stopped by yours tonight and am so glad I did!!! Love this story! My husband and I are thinking about fostering in the next year or two and this just really confirms it for me! Thanks so much! So glad you were loved by so many people and most importantly, the love you have felt by God! What a testimony:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allie, I am so glad the post encouraged you in some small way. Many blessings and prayers for you as you move forward with fostering! :)

      Delete
  6. I found your blog through Kelly's Korner. As I was reading your story it sounds a lot like mine. I was adopted at birth, it was a closed adoption, I know the hospital I was born in, I do not know anything about my biological mother. I do know that my biological father was killed in a motorcycle accident before I was born. I do often wonder if she thinks of or about me. I have decided I want to try to find her or find out some information such a health history and if I have siblings but since it is closed I have to get a lawyer and go through the courts that way. The one thing that I've always also wanted to say to her if I ever met her was thank you for choosing life. I have had the best life that my mom and dad have given me and feel so blessed to have been chosen for them. I'd love to chat with you more since our stories are so much alike.

    http://countryrootscityliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I would love to chat with you! ashlynncushing25@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. One of he most amazing people in my life was unable to have children. She was my teacher, mentor, and role model. She and her husband adopted two children. They have been the biggest blessing to me since the moment they came home. I hope to one day adopt children not because I can't have them but because they have given me years of happiness. I can't imagine my life without them in it and more than that I can't imagine what they would be going through had they not come home with their mom and dad. I truly believe adoption is the best gift anyone could give or receive!! So happy you had such a wonderful gift in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your story and, as an adoptive mom, I pray so much that our little girl will feel special and loved like you did! She has brought so much joy to our life and I love to hear that you feel so happy and fulfilled. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Ash! I know we have discussed this before but Wow! What an amazing woman you are and I am honored to know and love you and call you friend. Your strength is amazing and I too say Thank you to the woman that chose to give you life and to your amazing parents who did an awesome job something what family is. You all Rock! Angie Harrell

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post and story! I am adopted too, and it is so neat you wrote your story out:) I may link up too! http://arielle-ellesentries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I loved this. (new follower by the way) This spoke to me, because I was also adopted. I am 28 and I was adopted as a baby. Mine was closed, and I don't know much of anything, either. It is something hard to explain to others! I am glad I am not alone though, in my feelings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ashlei Swida7/02/2014

    What a powerful story. Thank you for sharing and you are a miracle!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover