photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Monday, October 14, 2013

Manly Mondays: My take on SAHM and being a cop!

Well... Ashlynn and I have been on quite the roller coaster when it comes to her career.  I know she has blogged in the past about how she is always being pulled back into our home so I won't expand on that.  Sometimes it came in the form of a bank closing..sometimes a merger..or (in only one case) a Bitty for a boss.  

But one thing has always remained a constant...she is meant to be here.  At this point we have given it to God and we just pray for guidance.  Her place is clear to us now. She is meant to raise our children in my absence.  Above all else she, and I, are meant to teach our children how to walk with God.  We work to build a solid foundation for them..to build solid character free from cracks (building reference lol).  

I was raised well, but didn't come to know Christ until I was 30 and I can't help but wonder sometimes how life could have been different at times.  I have been a bully once or twice. There were also college experiences I wish I could take back.  How many opportunities have I missed to help others while I was out running wild?  These are all questions that I don't want my children to have to struggle with.  I don't have many prayers, but I do pray that H&H can serve as a light in this darkening world.  So while they are still here, playing with monster trucks and dolls and watching Spongebob, I rely on Ashlynn to start laying the bricks for their foundations.  That is her job.  

I think she would be the first to tell you that this is not what she planned on doing for her career, but y'all...she is amazing.  

Most days I go off to work before the sun rises and come home sometime after 7pm.  I come home to a awesome meal, clean babies, and a kiss.  She cleans daily, but with a 4 and almost 2 year old tornado.. what is the point of cleaning all day, unless company is coming over.  Then we have to front like we have 10 live-in maids and the Sham Wow guy on a meth.  

Ashlynn is an amazing mother and I know that she loves our children more than anything, but some days are hard on her.  H&H are at very hard ages, for different reasons.  We can't go to many restaurants... Hollin has not stopped screaming since she was cut out... and here lately, the weather has been HORRIBLE.  These kids have been stuck inside for days and we all catch the wrath of the titans. 

Warning: Man thoughts ahead!!    I LOVE my wife's new work uniforms. 

I'm a sucker for sexy workout gear and she looks sooo hot!!  "Thats the kind of buns I like in my kitchen"..(I'm gonna get the stink eye on that one.)  In all fairness, I don't have any pictures of Ashlynn to use..

My workdays are not fun (to say the least) and knowing that my kids are safe and loved mean more to me than her paychecks.  I admire her for being strong enough to handle so many facets of our lives and she does it so gracefully.  She is my rock and I always know right where to find her...


So on to my job...

I call it my job because that is what it is.  I was not one of those guys that always knew I wanted to be a cop when I was growing up.  Truthfully I didn't know what I wanted to be and I played a little too much in college to figure it out.  Oooh the Pediatrician I could have made... So fast forward a few years and I was a Realtor.  I was new, business was slow, and I needed a steady paycheck.  I got on with a smaller, country agency and humped it through academy.  It was hard but I got through it in one piece.  
Not me by the way, just a really cool picture.

I got my shiny new gun belt and hit the road with my PTO (a veteran training officer who takes naps while I write reports).  First day or second day, my memory is a little fuzzy, I got my first real call.  A lovely gentleman decided that it would be a good day to shoot his wife in the back of the head at their house, drive to a nearby nursing home to shoot his elderly mother as she ate her breakfast, and shoot himself in her room.  Welcome to the exciting world of police work folks.  Its one of those images that I will remember forever.  It was like something out of a TV show.  But it was what it was, so I did what I had to do and went about my day of accidents, larceny reports, and raising other peoples kids.  Oh, and baby mama drama...


Being a cop is hard.  Theres no other way to put it.  I think this is the only job in the world where you are hated for "not doing your job" AND "doing your job" (WTF).  I spend up to 10 hours of a 12 hour shift sitting in a car, driving hundreds of miles just waiting for something to happen.  Being 6'5'' and 250lbs, my body does not like to be cramped in a car for long periods of time.  Sure it has its fun moments, like running over 100mph to a call (sorry baby) or just some of the pure, unadulterated ridiculousness that we see.

(case in point)

Random facts/questions:
- I happen to love donuts, how could you not? (not..a..word)
- I do not know your cousin who works in a jail in Colorado.
- Are you married? (Really? I'm here because you're fighting with another girl who stole your cigarettes)
-No I haven't shot anyone yet. (this one is usually from kids and its pretty cute)
- You may absolutely not touch my night stick.
- No, its not illegal to show your boobs (immediately followed by flashing)
Pretty entertaining right?

Not all things are bad though.  We do get to help people every now and then and we protect those that need it.  I have even had the opportunity to save a few lives.  To me, the hardest part of the job is leaving it at the driveway.  We see horrible things and have to live with the possibility that we may not come home at the end of every shift.  It is not for everyone, but for some reason God saw fit to make me good at it for the time being.



Ashlynn has made no secret of how being in law enforcement has affected our lives and you've probably read the posts.  If not, please do because it can be really eye opening to see it through a spouse's eyes.  It takes a very special woman to be able to handle the police lifestyle and balance a family.  I don't know if I could ever fully express my gratitude to her.  I wouldn't be able to hold it together without her encouragement.

 photo a69d6187-0373-4256-b5e7-63ad4d1db1a3_zps326d86d5.jpg


Prayers for all first responders are always appreciated, and be sure to thank cop one day for what they do. Just not while they are eating lunch.




Until next Monday,


Jimmy

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Great job at making me tear up! I'm so thankful that you and Ashlynn found each other! Love and miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear his point of view! You have a great husband, Ashlynn. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I think I'll keep him around :)

      Delete
  3. so wonderfully written. i love to hear your hub's perspective. as a united team in marriage y'all are absolutely glorifying God and blessing others through your marriage!!! it is definitely an encouragement to ME. love this! thank you!!!

    xx
    elise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover