photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Harper-isms at 21 months , a story and a completed project.

My little boy turned 21 months old on January 5th! I guess it's time to start thinking about his 2nd birthday party and what sort of theme we will be going with. Planning birthday parties for him is so much fun! I have a few ideas, but I'll share those later.

I have no idea how much he weighs or how tall he is. The only thing that is different between now and last month is the few words he is saying here and there. I'm not sure how other babies are, but Harper might repeat a word after us after a lot of encouragement and then he will never say it again. We try and try to get him to repeat it, but he doesn't.

His diet is still about the same... no meat. Whatsoever.

I have to share this story so I won't forget it, so bear with me. Today, we all had to go to Wal Mart to get wipes, milk and a few other things. Jimmy and I know exactly how Harper will be once we get him in the shopping cart, so I usually have a list than I can check off quickly so that we can make our trip as short as possible. We walk in the store and he of course tries to leap out of the cart, into Jimmy's arms and then immediately wants to be let down. Obviously this will not work for us, so the struggle begins. As I'm checking off things on the list, he is squirming and crying. He actually did better than usual....until we got to the checkout line.

There was an older couple in front of us that seemed to be having trouble with their debit card. They must have tried swiping it 10 times. They would swipe it too slow and it wouldn't read, then they swiped it so hard, the reader fell out of the bracket. All during this time, Harper was squirming and trying to knock every pack of gum and hand sanitizer off the shelves. He was making a scene of course, and people were staring. Small kids walked by, looking at Jimmy and I as if we were purposely trying to upset him. My patience with Harper gets so thin when we go out to somewhere like Wal Mart because I know how well he can behave. On days like today, I always tell myself that I will not take him shopping anymore until he calms down a little. Finally, we checked out and got out of there. We were all hungry, so we took a trip to our favorite Mexican restaurant.

As soon as we walked in, Harper spotted two pretty young blonde girls sitting in the booth in front of us. He grinned from ear to ear as if he was trying to get their attention. When the chips and salsa arrived, he ate a few, then kept trying to look over the huge booth to see the girls.

We kept pulling him back and trying to bait him with food. In one swift and sneaky move, Harper grabbed a chip from the basket and hurled it over the booth. Before we could even realize what happened, we hear both of the girls laughing.
Photobucket

My eyes grew wide and Jimmy and I just looked at eachother. I snuck around and said, "Sorry" and the girls laughed even harder. Of course they were sweet and said it was okay. After that, Harper was determined to get another look at them, so daddy lifted him over the booth.
Photobucket



The girls went on and on about how cute he was and waved to him, which MADE his day. The rest of the meal was spent trying to get him to eat instead of flirt. Finally they left and Jimmy had to hoist him up again to show Harper that they weren't there anymore.

It's times like this that makes his sqirming and crying bearable. He is such a funny kid and he knows just when to hook us with his charm before we go completely insane.

On a completely different subject, remember this post where I said I would be glazing my craigslist dresser?

I decided not to glaze afterall, simply because of timing and the fact that I needed a dresser for Harper's room asap. The one that we bought him less than a year ago from Wal Mart pretty much fell apart today, so I was happy that I had completed the dresser last night. I chose "Salsa Diane" by Valspar for my little re-do. I wanted a soft red and at first, the paint went on VERY pink. So pink that my husband told me there was no way that dresser was going in his son's room. After two coats, the dresser turned out just the way I wanted it! I took a sanding block and roughed up the edges a little to let the blue sneak back out.


Photobucket

I'm really happy with the result! It brings a lot more color to his room and speaking of color, I purchased these babies for $ 15 at World Market for his room about a week ago.

Photobucket

I decided that I wanted to make an (eventual) reading corner for him, so daddy helped us hang them up!

Photobucket

Thanks dad!

Photobucket

I still have a ton to do around here and I will be posting things as I go along. I'm so happy to be making progress :)

Happy Tuesday!


1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover