photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Monday, April 4, 2011

Our weekend and a flashback to two years ago tonight...

(Please forgive the spacing of this post!)


So, I did finish some decorations for Harper's birthday party although I didn't get as much done as I would have liked. I made tissue paper poms using red, white and blue, but I didn't buy nearly enough tissue paper. They looked so sad :( I also made homemade garland using construction paper I had left over from high school. Yes you heard that right. I always knew I'd need it again someday! Long story short, I took a ton of pictures, but most of them came out blurry. I have NO idea why because I take action shots of Harper all the time and I had my camera on the same setting Saturday. I'm so bummed that most of them didn't turn out, but at least I get a do-over this Sunday! That's right... Harper gets TWO parties. Here are a few pics from Saturday.

(Dairy Queen Cheesequake ice cream cake. DE-lish.)


(Harper ripped EVERY single piece of tissue paper in half and threw it in the same pile while opening his gifts. So hilarious.) Harper came away with some really great presents!




Since he is turning two tomorrow (OMG), I thought it would be nice to take a trip down memory lane. On Friday, April 3rd, I stayed home from work due to lower back pressure and just generally feeling "not right." Because I had Gestational Diabetes, I was always checking for kick counts and after having a bowl of cereal and juice, I was not feeling Harper's kicks. I called the Dr. and was told to come in immediately. My sweet dad, who was off on Fridays, told me to come pick him up and he would drive me the rest of the way to the office. I will never forget seeing him standing on the opposite side of the subdivision where they live so that he could easily get in the car.

Jimmy was working that day and met me at the Dr's office where I was given an ultrasound. My dad sat in the waiting room for a VERY long time before Jimmy was able to come out and let him know that all was ok.

During the ultrasound, we all stared at the screen while the sonographer checked his "practice breathing." After what seemed like forever, we finally saw the teeny rise and fall of his chest and felt a flood of relief. After that, I was hooked up to a fetal monitor and was supposed to press a little button everytime I felt something. Jimmy and I quickly realized that the frequency of those feelings were becoming regular and my Dr. called the hospital to let them know that I was experiencing "uterine irritation." Looking back on that now, I laugh because it was obviously early labor!

On Saturday, April 4th, Jimmy was off work and although I don't remember everything we did that day, I do remember eating a Spicy Chicken tray from Cookout that night for dinner. I always refer to that as the Last Supper, because around 2:30am on Sunday, my water broke while walking across the bedroom for a bathroom trip. For the full birth story, go here.

I still can't believe it's been two years ago that I gave birth to Harper. In some ways, it seems like yesterday and then at times it seems SOOO long ago. So many things have changed since then and I look forward to spending the day with my birthday boy although the weather is supposed to be pretty nasty. Despite his two year old tantrums these days, he is still my sweet little angel.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, happy birthday Harper! I love hearing other women's birth stories, it's such an amazing thing and I love that every single story is so different. I hope you both have a wonderful day and a great time at party #2!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover