photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Thursday, April 28, 2011

When it rains it pours.

Don't you just love that expression? I don't think it could be more true for our family this week. There are no cute pictures or stories to share for this post. This is real life folks.

It all started on Easter Sunday. On the way home from our trip, our Jeep Commander lurched forward (as we were going about 80 mph) and then cut off. That's right, completely cut off. Luckily it started again, but not without our "check engine" light coming on too. We would have immediately taken it in the next day, but Jimmy needed it to get to work for the next 2 days. The OLD, beaten up Explorer that we bought just for him to get back and forth to work in has been grounded for months. We decided not to sink any more money into it after it gave us multiple problems, so we've been a one car family for some time now. Needless to say, having our one good car break down like that sent us both into a panic. Oh yeah and it's a 2006, so there is no warranty :)

We took it in yesterday (by this time, our check engine light had gone off) and had to pay the Jeep dealer 105 dollars just to look at it. We hung around for several hours and was informed of what was wrong; two throttle sensors. They could of course fix it, but it would cost us almost 700 dollars. I literally almost cried. We decided not to do any repairs since it was not an engine issue. I immediately called my dad who has a bit of experience with repairing cars. He agreed that it wasn't imperative and said that we really should have taken it to Advanced Auto where they would have been able to hook our car up to a sensor-reader and they would have been able to tell us what sensors were in need of repair....for free. Lesson learned, I guess. We will be taking it in to them, getting the sensor codes, buying to parts and possibly repairing ourselves. We will see how it goes! I mean, who has 700 dollars to fix a car? Ridiculous.

Last week, we received two checks from our rental company. We usually only receive one per month. After they've taken their 8 percent in commission, they send us a check for the rest and that is how we pay our mortgage on the house that our renter is living in. Truth be told, we always have to pay a little bit out of pocket each month because our homeowner's insurance went up which subsequently raised our mortgage payment. We obviously can't increase the rent amount since everything is under contract, so we just have to pay the difference each month. It isn't much, so it's ok.

Long story short, I deposited both checks because I felt sure that they knew what they were doing. Of course it was strange, but I really didn't give it a second thought. A few days later, the rental manager called Jimmy and said that the second check was sent by mistake. He quoted the amount and said that they needed it back. Jimmy and I went into panic-mode again, trying to figure out how to get the amount back to them. I happened to call my mom yesterday and I brought up the subject of this whole mess. She pointed out to me that this was their mistake and that their E & O insurance should cover this loss. She assured me that there was nothing they could do. With her help, Jimmy and I composed a letter to the rental company explaining that this was their whoops and that they could not ask us to return funds that were made out to us. I sent it last night and have not heard back from them at all today. I'm not sure if they will try to fight us or not, but we feel pretty sure that we've made the right move.

This isn't really all that "bad", but I also had my first cavity filled this week! Laugh if you must, but I am 26 years old and I'm pretty sure I was just as scared as I would have been if I had been younger. The whole experience was less pleasant than I thought it would be. Not really bad, but it kinda sucked too. Not gonna lie. And I've got more to be filled :(

Today, we took Harper in for his Pediatric Specialist visit. I mentioned WAAAAAY back when that he has a lipoma (a fatty tumor) halfway between his shoulder and elbow. He also has a rather large freckle on the top of his head that has gotten bigger as he has. We noticed both of these about a year and a half ago and have been keeping a close eye on them ever since. The lipoma has also gotten bigger, but not by much. The specialist examined him today and decided that he needs surgery to have them both removed. He is scheduled to go in on May 12th at 9am. I'm not sure who will handle this worse, me or him. I know it's a minor out-patient procedure, but my baby is still having surgery.

Needless to say, this week has been a doozy and I'm NOT good with stress. If I felt ok about drinking and being pregnant, I swear I would have a glass of wine!! Jimmy and I are hoping that things calm down for us really soon. It's just been one thing after another for some time now, not just this week. Good grief, we need a vacation!

One thing I AM excited about is the Royal Wedding! I know a lot of people are sick of it already, but I grew up having my parent's friends from England visit us almost every other summer. I became very good friends with both of their sons and feel "closer" to the English crowd that most. Can you imagine how Kate Middleton feels right now? I'm sure she's asleep since they are 5 hours ahead, but man oh man. How excited and nervous she must be?! One of my bucket list items is to visit England with my family and take it all in. I know it would be so much fun.

That's all for now folks. Please say a prayer for us and our little Harper. I know he will be in good hands, but none of us are looking forward to it...

Goodnight,



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover