Yes, I know it's super early and most moms wait until they are much further along or have had their baby before they announce names. I have never really understood that :) Jimmy and I have spent some time researching these names and really feeling them out. We are SUPER excited about both of them!
Before I announce though, I thought it might be nice to go back and explain how we arrived at our first-born's name.
When we were trying to think of a name for our first child, it took us awhile. We wanted something unique, but not strange. We looked at every website and every book available, but nothing fit. When we found out we were having a boy, it became even harder. Finding a good, strong, Southern and unique name for a boy proved to be quite the task.
Finally, we were talking in the living room one night and I remembered Jimmy telling me about a young man that he went to school with. He was several years younger than Jimmy, but at 16, he was tragically killed in a car accident. I remembered the story and knew that I loved this young man's name, but it had been so long since we had talked about it, I couldn't remember his name.
I casually asked him what the boy's name was and he said, "Harper." We both sort of looked at eachother and realized that was it. I said the name over and over again and then added "James" as a middle name since Jimmy's full name is James Edward Cushing IV. After I said "Harper James Cushing" at least a thousand times, we settled on it and couldn't be happier with our choice. At that point, I never heard of Harper except for the young man in the accident. Since then, it has become quite a popular girl's name. I hope Harper won't hate us later!
First of all, we wanted to keep with the H-names. For either a boy or a girl. I just love the idea of having children that all share the first initial.
For a boy, we have decided on
Hayes Barrett Cushing
Before I announce though, I thought it might be nice to go back and explain how we arrived at our first-born's name.
When we were trying to think of a name for our first child, it took us awhile. We wanted something unique, but not strange. We looked at every website and every book available, but nothing fit. When we found out we were having a boy, it became even harder. Finding a good, strong, Southern and unique name for a boy proved to be quite the task.
Finally, we were talking in the living room one night and I remembered Jimmy telling me about a young man that he went to school with. He was several years younger than Jimmy, but at 16, he was tragically killed in a car accident. I remembered the story and knew that I loved this young man's name, but it had been so long since we had talked about it, I couldn't remember his name.
I casually asked him what the boy's name was and he said, "Harper." We both sort of looked at eachother and realized that was it. I said the name over and over again and then added "James" as a middle name since Jimmy's full name is James Edward Cushing IV. After I said "Harper James Cushing" at least a thousand times, we settled on it and couldn't be happier with our choice. At that point, I never heard of Harper except for the young man in the accident. Since then, it has become quite a popular girl's name. I hope Harper won't hate us later!
First of all, we wanted to keep with the H-names. For either a boy or a girl. I just love the idea of having children that all share the first initial.
For a boy, we have decided on
Hayes Barrett Cushing
For a girl, we love
Hollin Kea Cushing
I feel like I must make a disclaimer here and tell you that if you are a reader of Blue Eyed Bride, I did not get Hayes from her blog :)
We LOVE how Harper and Hayes sound together! Neither of those names are family names, but we really love how well they flow. It really can't get much more Southern than that.
For the girl's name, I cannot take one ounce of credit. Harper's former nanny stayed with us several months ago and was helping me with a girl's name. Up until then, I was at a loss. When she said it, I almost fell out in the floor! I love it so much! The middle name is pronounced "Key" and it was my middle name before I got married. It is a family name and I love it because it is so unique and girly.
Again, Jimmy and I are so excited and know that these names will fit our little boy or little girl perfectly. Now we just need to know what I'm having!!







yay!! This makes me sooooo happy! I cant wait!!! :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE LOVE LOVE Hayes. Our first two munchkins names are Reagan & Jackson (we are sticking with a president theme). If we have a boy next we are strongly considering Hayes. You only have so many presidents to choose from :)
ReplyDeleteHollin Kea is absolutely BEATIFUL!
You win either way :)
Ashlie
barrett... cool!! they make awesome rifles :)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.barrett.net/