Remember when Harper had surgery to remove a mole from his head and lipoma from his arm?
We went back for his follow-up appointment today, just two short weeks after to have his stitches removed. I was so happy that we would finally be done with the Pediatric clinic. I was so excited that the next time we'd be entering the Women and Children's building, it would be to deliver Hollin.
We went in and waited and waited for the Dr. We held Harper down while the Dr. took the stitches out. I truly thought that would be the worst part of our day.
I was wrong.
Once they were out, he says to us, "Now, let's talk about his pathology report." I had honestly forgotten that his mole and lipoma had been sent off to be examined. He went on to say, "It's not terrible news, but it's not great news either."
I held my breath.
He explained that both the mole and lipoma came back "abnormal" and have been sent to Duke Pathology for further review. He scheduled us to come back in a month and the results might be in by then.
Um....ok.
He was very vague about the results and sent us home with two sheets of a report that may as well have been Latin. Jimmy nor I could make any sense of the medical jargon, but I pulled from what little bit of Anatomy college education I have and looked up a few things on the internet. I know what you're thinking... "That's the worse thing you could do!"
I honestly didn't want to Google those terms. I was afraid of what I'd find. I came away feeling slightly better about the results, bit still confused about what to do next.
I am lucky enough to have a cousin who is a Dr. and she called to talk with me this afternoon. She was a little more clear than our specialist and basically confirmed what I had been thinking all along. The cells are pre-cancerous. She gave us suggestions about what to do next and along with another professional opinion, we've decided to first call and schedule a consultation with a Dermatologist. We will hopefully be able to gain a few more answers while we wait for the results from Duke Pathology and then we will go from there. It is likely that Harper will have to have another surgery to remove additional skin from where the mole was.
Needless to say, Jimmy and I have had a really rough day. I've of course cried my eyes out on several occasions and Jimmy is dealing with this in his own way.
We are both scared and worried parents, but we also know that this is not dooming news. The waiting game will be the hardest part for now. I pray to God that all is clear and we can put this all behind us. If not, we will face whatever awaits us.
Please say a prayer for our family as we wait for these results to come in.
We thank you for your support.
***Edited***
To lift our spirits, we've watched this a few times today. Enjoy!







Definitely will be lifting your family up in prayers, especially your Harper!
ReplyDeleteAshlyn,
ReplyDeleteI'll be keeping Harper in my prayers. Just try to focus on today, the present moment, and the waiting time will hopefully go by fast. Hugs!!!!
Antoinette
You are all in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteAshlynn, I'm so sorry to hear this. I will be praying to God our Healer that the results you get back are nothing but positive.
ReplyDelete