photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Keeping it Real

Stick with me, there are pictures :)


I like to do these posts every now and then. I think it's mostly so that I can look back on this special/chaotic time in my life and see what was going through my mind. Given everything that's happened in the last week (referring to Harper's impending diagnosis), I try very hard to not take anything for granted. I try not to get frustrated, but I'm human and I still have these days. I know they are far from over as well.

Today has been a rather difficult day, Harper-wise. I had a hair appointment at 11:30this morning and was gone until 2. (I stopped to pick up lunch :) You would think that only spending a few hours with your toddler wouldn't be so bad, right?

As soon as I came home, the chaos began. Our days are particularly hard when daddy is sleeping through most of the day and then getting ready for work. Harper knows exactly what is going on and because he doesn't want daddy to go to work, he acts out.

I had to take him to the drugstore with me to get my Rx filled and pick up a few things. He was so bad, I almost left. I had JUST finished reading an article while at the salon about the long-term effects of yelling at your children. I have raised my voice at him so many times today, it's a wonder he acts like he still loves me :) I don't raise my voice to be mean. It's always, "Get down", "Don't put that in your mouth", "Leave that alone", "Come here please", "NO!" All I could think about while at the drugstore was that article. I don't want to be a mean mom!

Toddlerhood has been and is one of the most exhausting phases of life I have ever been through. I don't mean to scare those of you who are approaching that stage with your baby, but like I said, I'm "keeping it real." And not all toddlers are created equal :)

One of the MANY things that frustrates me yet sometimes makes me laugh is the state of my house. I looked around me today and chuckled. I just had to go get my camera because I know I can't possibly be alone in this. I try to take it in stride because I know there will come a day when the kids will be off at college and it will just be Jimmy and I again. I will miss these days of toys strewn about and laundry never "caught up."

Here is what my house looks like daily. No exaggerations.

Living Room
Photobucket

Kitchen
Photobucket
(I had just loaded the dishwasher when I thought to grab my camera, but believe me, there are usually dirty dishes in the sink. The kitchen looks better than it usually does :)

Opposite end of the kitchen and "sitting room."
Photobucket

Dining Room
Photobucket

Our back patio. It's missing all bottoms screens thanks to Maya. It is in desperate need of a power wash and I literally sweep it almost every day. Notice the deflated pool.. that just happened today.
Photobucket

If you look closely, you can REALLY see how dirty things are. Like my nursery rocker that is in the sitting room for now.
Photobucket

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's dirty/scuffed walls and dirty baseboards. I feel like I go through and clean them once a week, but they never stay clean!! Here is a spot on the wall from where Harper threw Maya's dirty tennis ball against it.
Photobucket

Harper is usually the filthiest thing that I have to deal with during the day. Today, he ate pink and purple chalk.
Photobucket

Does anyone else have to give their kids a sink bath during the day?
Photobucket

By bath time, he is beyond dirty.
Photobucket

After seeing these pictures, I turned into a cleaning machine after Harper went to bed. I cleaned and organized for two hours! It's so hard to stay on top of things around here. I can't imagine what it will be like when Hollin arrives :)

I hope that tomorrow is a better day. Maybe Harper's schedule was thrown off by my leaving. He is usually always with me, no matter what. I guess we'll see but at least my day will get started with a clean house!!

Goodnight,



**Edited** I would have taken pictures of our bedroom, but Jimmy was in there getting ready. I also forgot to take pics of Harper's room and just how dirty our guest bathroom is because it's Harper's bathroom too. I'm telling you, it's a whole-house mess!!!!

1 comment:

  1. yes, yes, and yes. my house is always destroyed by two little boys and a big one too. drives me INSANE! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover