photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Monday, September 12, 2011

A Monday vent and a recipe.

Oh Monday.. You have been so great and so bad all at the same time.

Honestly, my day was going really well until this afternoon. I'll get to the bad part in a minute.

My day started with Harper being sweet enough to let me sleep until 7:30am and I was very appreciative. The ONLY reason he slept that late is because he wasn't feeling well last night and went to bed late.

I kept him out of Preschool today even though they are ok with runny noses. I know from experience that one child's runny nose can be enough to send mom or dad straight to bed for days. Aren't I so thoughtful, haha :)
Photobucket

I decided to play with my new camera while putting a crockpot together for a Sunday School friend. Her sweet baby girl is 4 weeks old and it was my turn to take them dinner tonight.

If I've shared this before, forgive me. And bear with me while I become obnoxious with my photos.

Hawaiian Chicken Barbeque
Ingredients:
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 bottle of BBQ sauce (your choice)
1 onion
1 can of pineapple chunks


Put the chicken at the bottom of your crockpot. (I doubled this recipe today so we could have a little too!)
Photobucket

Finely chop your onion and throw it on top of your chicken. (The pictures get wonky here, sorry.)
Photobucket

The pineapple chunks come next and you can add the juice if you like a really sweet barbeque flavor. I have tried this before and it was WAY too sweet, so I drained the chunks before adding.
Photobucket

Dump on your barbecue sauce! I used Sweet Baby Ray's.
Photobucket

Cook on low for about 6 hours and serve over rice or your choice of roll/bread. This recipe is really good with a fresh salad.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
While the crockpot was going, I decided to be productive with my time today. I ended up not taking a nap for the first time in a really long time! I loaded and unloaded the dishwasher twice, cleaned the kitchen really well, vacummed and did about 3 loads of laundry. I was feeling pretty accomplished.

I left this afternoon just after 5pm to drop off the meal. I was home by 5:45 because their oldest child was in the midst of a birthday party and I didn't want to interrupt :)

When I went to take Harper out of the car, he flew out of his seat into the driver's seat so that he could "drive." That is one of his favorite things to do right now. I tried asking him nicely to get out and he refused. Finally, I had to put my bags down and physically remove him from the car. I may as well have started WWIII.

He kicked, screamed, held his breath and collapsed onto the concrete. I picked him up again and struggled to get him into the house. I ignored him while he continued to have his meltdown and made him dinner. I washed his strawberries, cut them up, put baby goldfish on his plate and then added some Nilla wafers and peanut butter. I put the plate on the table and not two seconds later, he knocked it off in a fit of rage.
Photobucket
That did it. He got a pop on the bottom and put in time out. I know that two year old tantrums are normal, but this came in addition to some other drama that I'd prefer not to talk about here. It was just a classic-case scenario of you-know-what hitting the fan after Jimmy goes to work. Most moms count the minutes until their husbands arrive home from work in the evenings while I count the minutes until he leaves. I know as soon as he does, things go nuts.

Obviously our days are far from perfect around here. I certainly don't blog about every tantrum he has, but lately it just makes me wonder how things are going to be in a few weeks. Jimmy has applied to be switched to the day shift and here we are, 7 weeks or less from delivery with not so much as a peep from anyone about his transfer. He says that when it happens, it will happen quickly. I certainly hope so because I need him here in the evenings with two little ones. I am certain that I can manage daytime with two little ones, no problem. It might seem like having him here during the day would be a luxury and it is, but only sometimes. With him working nights, Harper and I have to pretend like he isn't here and stay as quiet as possible so that he can sleep. It's harder than it sounds, trust me.

Gracious, I could go on and on, but I am trying not to stress about things that are out of my control at the moment. (Did I mention that the lease for our renter is up next month? You know, the month I will give birth? We still haven't heard from our rental company regarding whether she wants to move out or extend her lease.)

I know that our time as a family of three is drawing to a close. There are moments when I am sad about that and others where I am excited. Right now though, I just feel a little overwhelmed by it all. I feel like getting some answers about these things hanging in the balance would really help.

I know that the best thing to do is to pray about it and give it to God. Sometimes that's easier said than done though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover