photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Getting Healthier - An update!



Back in my 2012 in review post, I talked about being more mindful of what my family was eating and drinking. Jimmy and I will be the first to admit that we have a soda problem.

I think it’s a safe bet to change that to had a soda problem.

I am so very proud of us, but especially him. He has been more disciplined than me!  We have been drinking so much more water.  I won’t lie and say that we’ve had no soda, because we have. There are moments when we need that caffeine boost.  But, we aren’t drinking even close to the amount we were.

We do not own a scale, so I’m not sure if any weight has been lost. I’m pretty sure he has lost at least a few pounds.

I really feel SO much better. It’s kind of amazing. I’m not nearly as tired, my headaches are gone and I feel lighter.

My typical food day looks like this:

Morning – Coffee and oatmeal or yogurt.  I typically only drink half the cup before it gets cold and I don’t drink the rest.

Fill up the Starbucks cup with water

Lunch – Whole wheat bread, jalapeno turkey, cheese, lettuce and mustard. Chips on the side. I know, not the best choice, but we aren’t going for perfection here.  Water to drink. I usually have to put in a flavor packet, but not always.  Sometimes I eat leftovers, like spaghetti or pot roast.

Mid-afternoon snack – Almonds (they keep them on hand at work) and more water.

Dinner – We usually do leftovers or I cook something like BBQ chicken in the oven with broccoli and rice. We ate deer meat for the first time the other night and I am a little ashamed to admit that I liked it. It was really good and apparently really good for you!! 

I wanted to share a reasonably healthy meal that Jimmy and I love to eat, probably once a week. This meal probably has a good bit of sodium in it if I had to guess, but definitely healthier than your typical hamburger tacos.

Chicken Tacos (I promise you have never had them like this!)




You will need: 

1 taco kit
3 fresh chicken breasts (we like to cook 4-5 chicken breasts to have lost of leftovers like nachos!)
1 can Rotel
1 can of Corn
1 packet of taco seasoning
Curry powder (the secret ingredient.)

1 onion
1 bell pepper
dash of olive oil
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste



Chop the onion and bell pepper.  Dust chicken generously with curry powder, salt and pepper. Put the onion and bell pepper in a pan with maybe 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Once the onions are transparent, add the chicken. Cook the chicken until it's done.  Take the chicken out to chop it up.  Add the chicken back, add the Rotel, corn, 2 taco seasoning packets (one from the taco kit and an extra) and whole packet of taco sauce (from the kit as well.) Add water.

Simmer until sauce thickens.

We usually cook Mexican rice with it.

Throw this in your taco shell with cheese, shredded lettuce and whatever else you like!


We are making small changes that make a big difference in how we feel.  Here's to keeping it up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover