About a month ago, we had to say goodbye to our family pet. It will remain one of the hardest decisions we have ever had to realize and carry out. Read about that here.
The days after she was gone hurt worse than we had ever imagined. After the babies went to bed at night, Jimmy and I felt lost. The house was way too quiet to deal with. There was no click-clacking of claws on the hardwood floor or a dog that begged to go outside. Even though we swore we wouldn't think of getting another dog for months, we started tossing around the idea of adopting a rescue.
Watching Harper and Hollin play alone in the backyard, feeling just as lost as we were, was all it took to make a decision.
The following weekend, we went to our local Pet store on adoption day. I know Jimmy and I know myself. There was no way we were leaving without a dog :)
The first pet store had a few options but none that felt right. We went a few miles down the road to another pet store.
And we found him!
This little guy was taken from a shelter right before his time was up. We are so in love with him and I shudder to think that he would have been put to sleep just because he ended up in a shelter.
His name is Finnegan, but we mostly call him Finn. He is the sweetest, most tolerant and loving dog. The vet estimates that he is about a year and a half old. He tested positive for heartworms but the rescue organization has handled all of his treatments at no cost to us.
I'm so happy that we decided to adopt a rescue. He has redeemed a sad and scary season of life with a dog that we loved so dearly but couldn't be trusted.
He has quite a talent for begging with that precious little face :)
He seems to be very appreciative to go from sleeping in a shelter to sleeping on a Pottery Barn duvet each night. We love him to pieces!!!








SO precious. And HA I LOVE his Pottery Barn duvet. :) What a cutie!!!!
ReplyDeletexx
So happy you rescued! Especially a dog with heartworm, he would have lost his life at a shelter for sure!!
ReplyDelete