photo Header_zps397c10be.png

Thursday, September 11, 2014

How we're settling in


A few months ago, I wrote about how our lives had changed with Jimmy's retirement from the Police Dept.  Read about that here.  I've had lots of questions about how we've adjusted and how life is different for us now.  (I guess it's time to change my little profile description over there---->)

  • The biggest adjustment was losing the weekdays that Jimmy was off.  During those days we could get a lot more done on the home-project front because everyone else was at work.  Now that he works Mon-Friday, we have only have the weekends for diving into our to-do list. Yay for normal hours! In between doing things with our families, church, birthday parties, etc, we don't have a lot of time to devote to being home. But I am not complaining one bit!! Projects might move at a snails pace now, but that is fine by us.
  • I talk to him less during the day. He is booked up with appointments about three weeks out and is in homes and businesses most of the day.  When he was on patrol, he could chat with me from his car in between calls. We text quite a bit more now and just catch up at the end of the day.
  • I worry about him 1,000% less. I no longer stress about his safety and the ever-present fact that he was in danger the majority of the day. Being a Law Enforcement wife is a very, very tough job. I know that it made me a very strong, independent wife and mother. For that, I am very grateful.
  • We cook dinner together and eat dinner at a normal time now.  He is home to tuck Hollin in if he wants to. Typically that is my job, but he has the option to, unlike before, and that is a luxury that neither one of us take for granted.
  • We go to church every single Sunday! We can complete a series together now instead of Jimmy missing about half of it.  There was always the option to watch online but we love being a part of the live worship. There is no substitute :)
  • We have been able to hang out with our friends so much more. We don't have to turn down invites because both of us can't make it.  :)
  • I'm very excited to know that he will be able to go to every birthday celebration and holiday party this year!

We are both extremely grateful that he was able to retire and transition into another job almost seamlessly.  There isn't a day that goes by that we don't thank the Lord for this blessing. Life is good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Pin It button on image hover